Shreeshakti Shaikshanik Sanstha’s
DIVINE COLLEGE OF PHARMACY, SATANA
DEPARTMENT OF PHARMACOGNOSY
Department of Pharmacognosy is an integral part of Pharmacy Profession. The Pharmacognosy Department is involved in teaching and research activities for undergraduate program (B. Pharm). The Pharmacognosy department in our college is well-equipped with the entire herbal specimens related to the syllabus of the students. We also have a Medicinal Plant Garden which is enriched with a variety of medicinal herbs. It was conceived as part of the pharmacy curriculum to display live medicinal plants to students. The garden remains a visually informative and aesthetically appealing part of the campus. Pharmacognosy laboratory is fully equipped with all the latest instruments for effective teaching.
To develop cutting edge expertise in Education and Research in Natural Products, which will make valuable Contribution to our growing knowledge-based Economy.
To Provide a High Standard of Education, Discovery and Research in Natural Product Field that Integrates Recent Knowledge of Natural Products, Particularly Medicinal Plants, and to contribute actively in health service development and awareness of evidence-based medicine.
Objectives of the Department
Pharma communities to develop their skills to meet the demand of Pharmaceutical Industries. The students are focused on identification of crude drugs by macroscopical and microscopical methods in herbal medicines. It provides morphological and microscopical studies of cells and tissues of different parts of the plants like root, stem, leaf, flower, fruit and seeds. It also provides esteemed guidelines to the students regarding Phytochemical tests, separation and analysis of active constituents through various techniques. More than sixty plants are grown and maintained in medicinal garden. Various herbarium specimens are kept in herbal museum.
Major Equipment’s in Department
- Soxhlet Extracter
- Clavenger’s appratus
- Muffle Furnace
- Microwave Oven
Strengths of Department
- Collaborations with industries for research in the area of analytical method development and herbal product development.
- Provides advanced instrumentation training to faculty and students for up gradation of their skill-sets and knowledge.
- Highly qualified and experienced faculty.
Major Research areas.
Extraction, Isolation of various crude drugs were carried out by different methods of extraction.
Phytochemical, chromatographic and biological evaluation of medicinal plants.
- The department of pharmacognosy is well furnished with the research facility for natural as well as synthetic products.
- The department has spacious laboratories and class rooms and well equipped instruments.
- The department is well equipped with basic amenities and resources for professional need.
- It has a library with rich and thoughtful collection of latest resource books, Journals etc.